Glenlyn Academy’s Foundation in Ballet course gives students aged 6 to 10 years old an enjoyable and structured foundation in Ballet dance. This course allows students to gain the skill, technique, and confidence of expression to fully enjoy this classic and timeless dance form. Teachers on this programme specialise in Ballet dance.
The Introduction to Dance course for 6 to 10 year olds covers:
- The basic combination of ballet steps: and short, simple choreography
- Barre exercises and stretches: including classic French terminology
- Basic footwork combinations (enchantments)
- An introduction to Ballet allegro
- The fundamental principles of turning
- An understanding of posture and how to stand correctly
- Developing a basic co-ordination of arms, feet and head
Students enrolled on to the Foundation in Ballet course take one Ballet class a week.
All students enrolled on to the Foundation in Ballet programme are given the opportunity to perform in Glenlyn Academy’s two showcases every year and are entered for medals, awards and examinations with the NATD (National Association of Teachers of Dancing). Parents receive verbal feedback on their child’s development every term and a written report every year.
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
• Perform in class, on stage and in the studio with confidence and understanding
• Use technical dance skills in response to the performing requirements
• Know and understand the context and content of the performance material and technical terminology