Glenlyn Academy’s Foundation in Dance course gives students aged 6 to 10 years old an enjoyable and structured foundation in the core disciplines of dance; Ballet, Jazz and Tap. This course allows students to gain the skill, technique, and confidence of expression to fully enjoy the three main core dance disciplines.
The Foundation in Dance course for 6 to 10 year olds covers:
- The basic combination of dance steps and short, simple choreography
- Jazz dance techniques including turns, kicks, balance, flexibility and strength.
- Tap dance techniques including simple steps, footwork combinations, rhythm and light and shade.
- Ballet techniques including barre, centre work and enchanments.
- Developing a basic co-ordination of arms, feet and head
- A basic understanding of technical dance terminology
Students enrolled on to the Foundation in Dance course take three classes a week in ballet, tap and jazz.
Ballet, Tap and Jazz classes help children develop and improve their self-confidence, co-ordination as well as musicality, dance and performance skills. All students enrolled on to the Foundation in Dance course are given the opportunity to perform in Glenlyn Academy’s two showcases every year and are entered for medals, awards and examinations with the NATD (National Association of Teachers of Dancing). Parents receive verbal feedback on their child’s development every term and a written report every year.
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
• Perform in class, on stage and in the studio with confidence and understanding
• Use technical dance skills in response to the performing requirements
• Know and understand the context and content of the performance material and technical terminology